Ooof. Don’t mind this post -it’s a bit all over the place, but it’s the only thing I’m thinking about so I figured it fit perfectly for a Thinking Out Loud post.
You know how some people are sooooo worried about gaining weight during the holidays (aka November-December)? I’m never worried about that, mostly because I don’t really like holiday food so whatever. Yes, I know I’m weird. You know what alllllllways gets me, though?
I gained seven pounds in January.
Granted, I do bounce around between a few pounds here and there, but for the most part seven is way too much of a hike. Especially since I had wanted to continue losing weight and now I’m way back up where I shouldn’t be. Boo.
I’m good at blaming other things (ha) so I’ll say my biggest issues were:
- I’m drinking a lot more than I was (mostly because I’m dating and going out with friends more because I’m actually starting to HAVE friends again, so that’s exciting)
- I’m starting to travel more for work (November-December tend to slow down for me, but then January hit with multiple events) and it’s super difficult to eat well on the road. Or workout.
- I’m the opposite of a gym resolutioner – mostly I’m scared of them. So you know what I do? DON’T GO TO THE GYM IN JANUARY. That’s smart, Jessie.
- My birthday is at the end of January and in typical Jessie fashion, I pretend that calories don’t count for the
whole month whole weekwhole day. The amount of meals out, drinks, chips/salsa and desserts I had last week is unfathomable.
So, now it’s the start of February (which is way closer to swimming suit season that I’d like to admit, even though it’s like negative 100 again today) and I feel disgusting. Don’t get me wrong – my birthday was probably the best birthday I’ve ever had – but I’m having a hard time getting my eating habits back in line after a couple of weeks being crazy. And working out? HA. What does that mean?
In hopes to get back on track and be able to comfortably fit into something cute besides leggings, here are some of my goals for February:
- Start out with working out at least one time per week, but move it up with at least one workout a week. I don’t know if that makes sense, so basically this week I need to work out once, next week twice, the week after three times, etc. If I get in more, awesome. I need to set myself a low goal because I hate working out so it always takes me a bit to get back into it.
- Drink less. I’m not going to cut it out completely, because again – unattainable goal – but I am going to do less of it.
- Less meals out. I’m sure I’ll do something around Valentine’s Day and my mom is coming to visit next week, but otherwise I plan on being more conscientious about it. Plus, my wallet will thank me since I thought I had ALL THE MONIES during January for some reason. Whoops.
- Lose weight. I’d like to put a goal of 5 lbs on this, but like a normal person, it’s very difficult for me to lose weight. So, I’ll say 5 lbs, but that’s going to be hard.
- Track Weight Watchers points. I lost the most weight tracking points before, so I’m going to try it again.
- Continue the healthy streak after February. I might make goals every month – who knows? I have a couple of weddings this spring, a wedding in fall, summer things where I’ll need to find a swimming suit (though I haven’t worn one in like, 4 years) and a trip to Ireland. All of these things should be big motivators for me.
- Sleep more. Especially in the past week or so, I haven’t been getting any sleep.
So here I am, making weight loss goals again. There needs to be a magical fairy that makes it easier to lose weight, please.
Any tips and tricks out there? Anyone else feel like January is worse than the holidays or is it just me?