Let’s talk about dream jobs

Dream Job Pic Monkey

I’ve always been a planner. It’s in my nature and since my high school career consisted of competitive cheerleading, volleyball, dance team, band, YAODA, 4H and National Honor Society, on top of a part-time job and maintaining a high GPA, you kind of HAVE to be a planner to stay afloat.

My first taste of planning an event was when I was 17 and decided I wanted to throw my best friend a surprise 18th birthday party. I had everything planned – decorations, a plan with her mom, a secret invite to the rest of our friends, food and even asking a neighbor down the road to let all of the attendees park so my bestie wouldn’t see the cars (of course she made it difficult because she was also my neighbor). I even had the lie figured out to get my best friend to go shopping with me that day, along with the lie that I had to stop back home because I forgot something. It went off without a hitch and she was definitely surprised – I think that’s the moment I fell in love with events.

In college, I set myself up to be a communications major because I have always loved to write (and talk, let’s be real). I was lucky enough to land a marketing and events internship my senior year of college with a local large healthcare company, which just continued to solidify my passion for events. With that internship, I was able to amplify my writing skills by writing press releases, marketing materials and website information for our events. We put on events as small as 50 people for local ground-breakings on new clinics to hundreds of people for breast cancer awareness walks. I was hoping to transition into a full-time job after college with that internship, but unfortunately with it being in the 2009-2010 years and the job industry not doing so well, the events office was cut from 10-0, leaving only one person doing their PR. Even though our internships were unpaid, we were still let go due to the PR director just not having enough time to help us.

From there I moved into the marketing/advertising world, knowing that my passion still was in event planning. At the two advertising firms I worked at, I volunteered on both of their events teams to help plan internal Christmas parties, birthdays, and small client events that we had here and there. While it wasn’t my main focus, I made sure to make time to be involved in those committees because it’s something I truly loved doing. A little over a year and a half ago, I landed my first full-time event planning job at my alma mater and finally had the opportunity to do events for my job – finnnnnally!

So, after all of my rambling, you’re probably guessing “so … you already have your dream job then, Jessie?” While I do love working events, that’s not my dream job.  Truth be told, I have always wanted to be a wedding planner.

I love weddings – all of ’em. Barn weddings, outdoor weddings, indoor weddings, church weddings, beach weddings, destination weddings, fancy-schmancy weddings – ALL OF THE WEDDINGS. <3

I’ve had a wedding Pinterest board since the first day I got Pinterest, even with no boyfriend in sight. I just love the look of them, the romance, the designs and ideas that every groom and bride have. I’ve helped a few of my friends with weddings details for years, trying to get any type of experience in them as I can. I mean, how fun would it be to work with someone to plan their most anticipated and exciting day!

So, here’s to hoping that some day I’ll get to start planning weddings! In the meantime, I’ll just be here stalking a million wedding planning companies and updating my Weddings & Events boards on Pinterest like the crazy single person that I am. 🙂

Do you have a dream job? Are you already doing it or well on your way to it? Does your idea of a dream job change? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

“Tutu

1. Torry @ A World Without Wheat says:

I feel like my dream job and focus changes every few years – right now it is education/preschool. I have gone back to school that will take a few years so I am hoping this dream sticks for awhile but now I am also looking toward fitness…..ha ha ha see like I said….always changing!
    Torry @ A World Without Wheat recently posted…Reading Challenge for 2016My Profile

Haha, that’s totally true! Good for you to look into education! I don’t think I could ever do that. I’m super passionate about social media (blogging, youtube, all of it) and that’s something I would love to do as well.

Why not see if you can plan a wedding?! You could do it for a friend or something! Start with people you know and then move up from there! I would have totally let you plan my entire wedding had you not been so far, haha. I HATED wedding planning! Every single thing about it!

I don’t even have a dream job. I would love to do something where I could travel, but Jon doesn’t think married people should make a living out of traveling (he’s so boring). I actually always wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, but then realized I don”t really like kids much or any subjects in school. Now I’m getting a master’s in nursing/management, but that’s not really a dream job. Maybe public health? But public health doesn’t pay and because I love traveling, I need a job where I make enough money to afford my lifestyle. So, that was out (actually that was why I didn’t get a master’s in public health). Maybe when I grow up I’ll finally decide 🙂 Haha.
    Liz recently posted…Lake Tahoe, Heavenly Village, & Virginia CityMy Profile

I’ve definitely helped friends with weddings and it’s been super fun, but I’ve never been able to take over the reigns (mostly because I live so far away from everyone). And I love your response about not having a dream job! I mean, my true dream job is to sit at home on the couch and online shop/not get fat but I feel like that’s not realistic …

Haha, that’s what everyone has said to me, but that doesn’t scare me too much. I work in the advertising agency for awhile with really rude/mean clients, so I’ve kind of figured out how to navigate that arena if it happens. 🙂

I haven’t, but that’d be a cool idea. Unfortunately I work two jobs in order to stay afloat, so an internship at this point is pretty impossible unless I got a great paying one and could quit my part-time job. I wish it’s something I would’ve looked into in college, though!

Wedding planning would be a tough but fun job! I think with Pinterest being so popular these days, I can see there being a need for more planners. I work with a girl who was doing events on the side/weekends & would gain clientele through all of the bridal fairs (which are going to be coming up!). That would be something you could look into maybe? It sounds like you have plenty of event planning experience too so you know what is going on! My dream job involves being self employed as well which seems nearly impossible at this point in my life. But that is a whole other story, haha!
    Megan recently posted…weekend & life lately.My Profile

I’m with you on that one, too. I’d love to be self-employed. I mean, if I could blog/YouTube every day, that would ideal. I guess we all have multiple “dream jobs”, you know? It’s so hard to do things on the weekend/side when I work two jobs, you know? I’m barely sleeping as it is haha. But maybe I need to find a way to make some cuts and start working toward something I love. Easier said than done, though! I hate being broke – ha! It ruins dreams 🙂

4. Jordyn says:

It sounds like you would be an extraordinary wedding planner, and the experiences you are building will really help you pursue that path in the future. My dream job is a fashion journalist or writer for a magazine/publication. I still don’t have it but I’m working toward it!
    Jordyn recently posted…Beauty Pick Me Ups to Transform Drab DaysMy Profile