Secret Talents, Indulgences and Being Unlovable

Ya’ll know I love my surveys. I think it’s the Myspace baby that’s still in me. Anyways, I saw this on Teri’s blog a few weeks ago and kept it around for a day that I was struggling with an idea for a post. Well, that day is today (remember, I told you about my funk yesterday so I’m a little out of it)!

One: What brings you the greatest joy?
Dogs. Wonderful friends. Chips and salsa. Days off. Being by the water, specifically the ocean if possible.

warm weather

Two: What are your vices?
Chips and salsa. Buying workout clothes. Overthinking all situations. Pushing guys out of my life because I’m afraid they’ll hurt me. WOO okay, Jessie … let’s move on. #oversharerproblems

Three: What is on your nightstand?
I don’t have a nightstand, ha! I wish I did. If I had one, it’d be my phone and a water (basically that’s what’s on my windowsill right next to my bed). Maybe a picture of something that makes me happy.

Four: Do you have a secret talent?
Hmm. I used to write poetry and short stories. I also was very involved in band, and loved playing my flute and piccolo for years, although I haven’t done that in awhile.

One thing that I’ve been told is a talent of mine (not necessarily a secret) is that I can read people well and I’m very self-aware. I’m pretty good at getting to know someone and being able to figure out the things they need. I’m also extremely self-aware, sometimes to a fault. Sometimes it’s helpful and other times it just makes me really mad at myself because even though I know I’m being ridiculous (read: the  #2 question about pushing people out of my life), I can’t stop it. 😉

Five: What is your greatest indulgence?
I’ve spent the most money on my two Kate Spade purses (though one was from an outlet). Otherwise, I don’t really financially indulge in anything because I make absolutely no money (not kidding). I used to love indulging in getting my hair done or my nails done, but that just doesn’t fit in the budget anymore.

Apart from financial indulgences, I indulge in food a lot, whether it’s going out to eat or cooking something I love to eat. Oh, and chips and salsa. Seriously, it’s a problem.

Six: What should everyone try at least once in their life?
Agreeing with Teri on this one – living alone is a BIGGIE. I miss it so much (no offense to my sister – I like living with her as well!) – I miss living somewhere where I’m completely on my own, making all the decisions because it’s me paying for it. Basically, I just miss living in Milwaukee. I was on my own, with no one but myself to depend on which is what I prefer.

Milwaukee

Another piece from Teri’s quiz was traveling alone. So, I basically traveled alone to Hawaii, but once I got there I was with someone who took me around the entire time. One of best friends, Julie, just took a week-long trip to Riviera Maya and I am so envious, yet proud of her! I think this is something I really need to do, so I’m going to start saving up some $$ and see if I can do that, even if it’s just a small trip somewhere. Have any of you ever done anything like that?

Hawaii Trip

Seven: What makes you laugh?
Funny memes. 🙂 I love Instagram for that reason. My sister’s cat is ridiculous, so he makes me laugh a lot (when he’s not ruining my stuff). I laugh pretty easily, so don’t worry – I’ll probably laugh at your jokes.

Eight: What is one thing that people would be surprised to know about you?
Ummmm, I feel like I’ve told ya’ll everything when it comes to things that have happened in my life. One thing some people are surprised by when/if I tell them is that I’m actually pretty afraid that I might be unlovable. # dramaqueen It’s probably the only part of my life I’m insecure about. I haven’t been lucky enough to be around or in incredibly loving relationships much, so it’s something I don’t completely understand. I hope it’s in the cards for me, but it’s definitely something I struggle believing will happen for me.

Nine: What is on your bucket list?
– Travel: Ireland (again). Scotland. Harry Potter World (duh). Greece. Australia. Bali. San Diego. Texas. Colorado. Okay, I’ll stop.
– Getting a dog
– Living somewhere I’ve never lived before
– Working for myself

Ten: What is on your feet right now?
My Steve Madden wedges that I’ve been obsessed with this year.

TJ Maxx

Eleven: How did you make your first dollar?
Probably chores with my parents, but aside from that it would be babysitting.

Twelve: What superstitions do you believe in?
All of them. It’s a problem. I knock on wood. I have a hard time talking about things before they happen because I’m afraid I’ll jinx it. I’m the WORST when it comes to Packer games – if they lose when I’m wearing something, I probably won’t wear it again for the rest of the season.

Thirteen: What items in your closet do you wear the most?
All of my dresses. I honestly don’t have a lot of clothing, so I have to find ways to re-wear it. This romper gets worn at least once a week.

Weekend Recap

Fourteen: What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
This is tough! I appreciate any gift anyone has ever gotten for me, but the gift of time is something that’s most important to me. How corny is that? But really. Saige spending the weekend with me for my birthday last year and Julie spending my birthday with me in Chicago this year are two of my favorite birthday memories. I honestly can’t think of any tangible gifts that have stuck in my mind, so we’ll stick with time with my friends.

Fifteen: What is on your liquor shelf?
Fun fact! I actually don’t like drinking.

Margs

I mean, I’ll get a drink when I’m out to dinner or on a patio, but if I’m sitting alone at home I have no interest in having a drink. So, the short answer is I don’t have any alcohol or a liquor shelf. I think my sister might have a bottle of wine in the refrigerator, but I’m not sure!

Sixteen: What is on your kitchen counter?
So much crap! Two blenders, a waffle maker, a food scale, knives, a toaster oven, a dry-erase board calendar, probably my sister’s cat’s butt …

Seventeen: What would you never leave home without?
Keys, some sort of money/id, and my phone. Though I will say, I’ve left my apartment purposely without my phone a few times (on days where I can’t keep staring at it) and it’s kind of freeing. But that’s usually only for short little trips since my car is crap so if it breaks down, I want to be able to call someone.

Have you ever traveled alone?
What’s the best gift you ever received?

“Tutu

1. Jessica says:

I think I’m unlovable too! I can’t ever make a relationship work. My indulgences are star bucks iced coffee, chocolate, spending to much on clothes. Lol! I’ve never really traveled alone. I usually travel with family.

I’m sorry to hear you feel that way! I’d never want anyone to feel unlovable – I know how hard it is. Girl, I get it on Starbs iced coffee – I’m drinking one right now.

• Amy says:

I like this post, cool insights about you and so much honesty………..
        Can I just say that I totally hear what you’re feeling re; thinking you may be unlovable but, can I also add that is not possible?!!! There are times that feel this way…..but, it’s not always easy to find a good person to be the one to love us back and do it well. I am totes proof that if you keep an eye out for a good one, they appear eventually. It took me way too long, but I’m really glad I stayed positive, even when I doubted so many things about myself:)

Thanks, lady! You’re totally right. I’m actually feeling much better about it today… just sometimes have to remind myself!

2. Marette @ Floradise says:

I haven’t really traveled alone except to visit people. It’s not really my thing though. I enjoy having a friend or Graham there with me to share the memories with. My friend travels alone all the time and loves it. She went to Ireland, Cancun and on smaller trips. Another close friend went on a tour of Egypt alone and her photos look incredible!

I think I definitely would prefer to go most places with someone to check out restaurants and stuff like that. I’d like to go to a resort or something on my own. Or maybe a quick weekend/4-day trip somewhere like San Diego or something, just to see how I feel. I’ve traveled a tiny bit for work alone and I feel like I just end up sitting my butt in the hotel room! haha

Haha I’m the opposite on alcohol, I have no problem drinking solo, and actually don’t like going to bars that much (especially if I have to wait, or if its so loud I can’t carry a conversation).
    Katie recently posted…Wait, Don’t Wait, ChaosMy Profile

Haha, makes sense! I don’t love bars all that much unless I’m in the mood, but a nice patio in the summer is my favorite. 🙂

I always love these! I think it’s the myspace in me too. I might just steal this one! I’ve solo traveled a ton in the US, but never overseas. I have no real desire to travel alone to another country, although I’ve heard it’s great. I WOULD do it for sure, but it’s just not one of my real big desires. I’m with you on living alone too! I actually really miss living alone. I know there are married couples who live in different houses, and honestly, if we didn’t have a baby now, that would totally be me thing. Everybody should totally experience living on their own. It’s good to be totally self sufficient too, I think.
    Liz recently posted…Buying and Selling Houses! AH!My Profile

DEFINITELY steal it! I love reading other people’s surveys, so I’m totally fine with you stealing it. 🙂 I think I’d be afraid to go overseas as well, unless it was to a resort where I didn’t have to leave it and could get massages/sit on the beach/eat at the restaurants that are a part of the resort. But traveling through Ireland or another country I’d rather share with someone else!

I’ve never lived alone & always had roommates. I could never afford it! But I was always on the opposite schedule of my roommates so I kind of lived alone. I don’t know if I would have the guts to travel alone. I would need to know someone wherever I’m at in case something happens! I love your answer to the best gift- time with friends is seriously awesome especially when they live so far away! I totally feel you on that!

And girl, you are not unlovable! That’s not even possible one bit. :).
    Megan recently posted…june buys.My Profile

Thanks, lady. 🙂 That means a lot. I know you’re right, but I still struggle with the feeling sometimes.

Living alone was a wonderful privilege I had, but that’s also when I went into the most credit card debt because I couldn’t afford to live on my own. Not the best. I did live alone for awhile here where cost of living is a lot lower. I think for me, I didn’t have a choice to not live alone when I was in Milwaukee because I couldn’t find a roommate. I miss it sometimes, but it’s also nice to have someone else there! I think I’d travel alone to a resort where I don’t have to leave it or within the US to visit a city a bit, but I’m with you. It’d have to be a very safe area/city in order for me to feel comfortable there entirely on my own!