Starting a New Program + IIFYM Haul!

Happy Wednesday! Today is my first day off from the gym and it’s feeling GLORIOUS. I was so worn out on Monday/Tuesday. Today I just have work at my FT job, then my coaching call with Amy and then a “just for fun” catch-up call with Megan. Pretty good Wednesday in my opinion.

So, I started my new flexible dieting program on Monday! It’s been a little hard to get used to, only because I’m getting up earlier and have officially cut my macros (compared to just eating whatever I wanted) so I’m moving a little slower than normal. With that said, I’m really excited to see how my body reacts to this program. It’s VERY different than my last coach’s workouts, but I’ve had a few injuries and this is made specifically for me. I will say – going from 1 rest day / week to 3 / week is going to be difficult for me. We’ll see how it goes!

With that, my program looks like this:

Monday: Upper body + cardio
Tuesday: Lower body + cardio
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Upper body + cardio
Friday: Lower body + cardio
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

Obviously the workouts are different on each day and I’m working different muscles, but that’s the jist of it. I honestly have no idea what I’m going to do with myself. 😉

Along with workouts, I have to get back into tracking every.single.thing I put into my mouth. It’s a good time to start, too, because I have a couple of events this month and then next month is NUTS with events/travel. I struggle the most with macros when I’m traveling. I currently don’t have any treat meals worked into my diet, but after a couple weeks I’m going to ask for some. They keep me sane!

I’m going to try to make some videos while I’m going through this diet to 1) keep myself accountable and 2) hopefully help some people out! Check out my first video in the series below (p.s. if you have any good names for this series, I’d love to hear them!)

Any ideas for a series name?
Do you follow a set program or just go with the flow?

1. G says:

From my bit of research online, I’m assuming it must be easier to follow macros if you buy pre-packaged food since all the stats are directly on the box. Do you use a scale for the other things (ex.: ground turkey)? As someone who follows more of a “whole foods” approach, I really don’t watch portion sizes too much (probably why I have an extra 5 pounds on me, but I do enjoy the flexibility). I’m wondering if I actually watched carbs/fat/protein if I would see a difference… hmmm…

Good luck with the new program, especially the 3 rest days! Maybe it will be a blessing in disguise and will give you extra time to study! 🙂

Pre-packaged foods can “kind of” be easier, but I even weigh that stuff out. Like the cereal, for example. On the top it says a serving size is 1 cup or XX grams – so I weigh mine in grams to be accurate. I think taking a whole foods approach is wonderful, but it can also be done with macros! I do weigh out my turkey, lettuce, etc. when I’m eating whole foods. Or if I get an apple, I’ll estimate the size (or weigh it if I have my scale). For me, I like the accuracy because my body makes it SO hard to lose weight, so it really helps me. Of course, I’d go crazy without my oreos and chips, so I factor those in every once in awhile to keep me sane. But for the most part, I eat pretty “clean” (though I hate that word), too. Just makes me feel better! If you ever have any questions, you can always email me, too! (justjessiedblog@gmail.com)

Today was my first rest day and I love it, but I think having two this weekend is going to drive me crazy! 🙂

Girl, they are SO GOOD. I’m hesitant to make such a bold statement, but I think they’re my new favorite. I’m already on my second package – whoops!

Somehow I missed this yesterday (stupid new Bloglovin’ updates)! Cardio every day along with lifting?! I would need three rest days too, haha. I buy those grape drink things all the time. I tell myself they are “healthier” than a diet pepsi or something like that.. but probably not. And those Oreos… so good! I kind of wish they would stop coming out with all of these awesome flavors.
    Megan recently posted…august goals + july recapMy Profile

I used to work out 3, 4 if I was REALLY on top of things (I was working tons of overtime so usually didn’t get a chance to make it to the gym), days a week at CrossFit and that was by far the most in shape and the strongest I have been in my life. I was actually thinking about that the other day. I think when you’re doing more intense lifting and more cardio, you really need the rest days. I think the reason I got so strong was because I gave my body plenty of time to recover. I could never track macros. I would rather go back to eating completely Paleo than ever weighing my food or worrying about carbs and protein. It would be way too tedious for me!
    Liz recently posted…Making Changes in MarriageMy Profile

That’s true! I guess I was still doing this amount of work before, but I was working out six days. BUT then I got two injuries, so maybe I was going too hard!! And to each their own when it comes to diets. I could nevvvvvvvvvver do paleo – I’d go into complete binge-eating mode. That’s why this one works for me. Props to you, lady!