The weekend I moved to Chicago …

Well, sort of. 😉

Okay, so “technically” I’m only in a temporary living spot at my boyfriend’s (he and his cousin are THE BEST for letting my crash here) and my apartment lease in Green Bay is finished until the end of February, BUT I’m counting this as the weekend I became a Chicago-resident. Just let me have it, okay? It’s been a long week. 😉

Friday I got up, got a few things finished around my apartment and then headed off for Chicago. I stopped at Trader Joe’s in Milwaukee to pick up a few food items to keep at Ben’s and then off to Chicago I went. Once I got to Chicago, Ben and I traveled the FAR JOURNEY (aka two blocks away) to an apartment showing. Friday night was pretty relaxed – I was supposed to hang out with a girlfriend, but she bailed (boooo) but it was actually okay because my lower back was KILLING me. Ben’s cousin wasn’t home all weekend and Ben had plans with his family Friday night, so I ordered myself too much Thai food and hung out on the couch. Much needed.

Saturday I woke up with Ben and went to Starbucks while he trained his clients at the gym. He came over after his sessions and worked with me for awhile on my application for the apartment (fingers crossed). The rest of the day was extremely chill. I was pretty nervous on-and-off all weekend (poor Ben) so I went in and out of “quiet time” (aka my brain shuts down and goes off into stress lala land). We watched a few things on Netflix, made some dinner and then headed out to the suburbs for a late hockey game. We didn’t get back into the city until almost 1 a.m., so sleep time it was!

Sunday we slept in a *tiny* bit and then continued with the laziness – well, I did. Ben cleaned his apartment and did some work while I watched football on the couch. I did get up and help him hang some stuff on the walls and then meal prepped some rice and turkey meat for the week. We headed out to the suburbs for a quick Target stop and then another hockey game. I’m all about those hockey games – plus it got me out of my nervous funk for a little while.

Unfortunately I didn’t sleep much since today was the first day at my new job!

New Job in Chicago

It was an extremely overwhelming day and I got maybe four hours of sleep last night so that didn’t help. From 7:45-3 I was in orientation, then was taken to my desk. The corporation is gigantic and there are so many things to do/know, and that’s not even more my job! To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement. Thankfully my boss let me go around 4:20, but I still hit traffic (another thing I was overwhelmed by). I got back to Ben’s place right before he left to go train a few more clients and I just crumpled into a ball of stress. THIS POOR GUY – someone buy him a bazillion gallons of ice cream and send it from me, please? He’s the best.

So now it’s almost 8 p.m. and I’m just getting to write this blog. I’m *thinking* about going to the gym at my job tomorrow morning, but I’m going to talk to a smart trainer I know about it. 😉 I don’t want to overextend myself, so I’ll see what he thinks. What do you think?

Also, apologies – I only have one picture but basically just picture me stressed and quiet all weekend.

How do you deal with the stress of a new job, new city or new anything?

Linking up with Katie.

I take it slow and need lots of alone time. I’m glad you’ve got a support system there. Things will get better (but its probably going to be a super long week, you can do it! drink water and take care of yourself dear!).
    Katie recently posted…Joy in the quietMy Profile

Yes! Well, probably. 😉 I have to go back to Green Bay one of these weekends and do some packing if I ever sign my lease! But I’ll get in touch once I know more!

Are you actually living in the city? How awesome. New jobs are stressful. I know eventually, I’ll probably have to find a job in Charleston, but I REALLY like my job. I’m not really looking forward to a change in what I do. And I’m sure switching to a huge corporation would be stressful! But give it a few weeks and you’ll be used to it!
    Liz recently posted…Weekend UpdatesMy Profile

I am! And then commuting out to the suburbs, lol. I’ve never had to leave a job I loved like you, so I can’t imagine that! Every time I’ve left a job, it’s been for good reason or just my time to move on. I’m sure you’ll find something great! 🙂 And I’m sure it’ll get better! Today is better, just exhausted. I need to go to sleep early tonight.

3. Amy says:

You’re in a new city with a new job and that is a lot of new! It’s going to take time……..but, it’s going to be great!!!! Breathe+Relax………if you can:) Go YOU!!!

Yay for being in Chicago! And the new job!! 🙂 It’s a lot to take in all at once but it sounds like you’re doing awesome. It’s been a long time since I did something NEW but I remember trying to get back into the same routine I had before.. like going to the gym. That might help relieve some of the stress of being in a new place? I’m excited to hear more about the new job & life in Chicago!
    Megan recently posted…Books Lately Vol. 2My Profile

Thanks! It’s been crazy! And definitely, I need to get back into the gym. I’m sure you’re right and that’ll help at least a little bit of the anxiety. Now, to get some dang sleep!

5. Jessie @ The Acquired Sass says:

CONGRATS ON BEING A CHICAGO RESIDENT! That’s big time!

Honestly, when I started my job – even though I’ve had it for 3.5 years now, I remember taking the first few weeks to just get my bearings. I didn’t go to the gym in the AM, I focused to getting to work on time & well rested so I could get the hang of things. I would run or walk after work some nights, but I think it worked well for me as I was transitioning.

Thanks, lady! 🙂

You’re probably right. I’m still contemplating going to workout in the morning tomorrow, but I’ve been so exhausted this week! If nothing else, my boyfriend is a personal trainer and he usually works out in the afternoon on Saturday, so maybe I’ll just take this week off and workout with him this Saturday. Then at least I get something in. I seriously miss it, I just can’t seem to get my body to cooperate at this point!