Weekend Recap: A Crappy Attitude

I like to think of myself as a positive person, but in attempts to always keep this website truthful, the last few days have been surrounded with self-doubt and just an all-over crappy attitude about some things. Sometimes that happens and I’m just trying to move past it!

So working downtown on Thursdays + working from home on Fridays has been a GODSEND. Thursday I took a Lyft to work because it was pretty cold, but I walked home that night. Threw in some headphones and listened to “You Are a Badass” (<— If you read my March goals, then YES I FINALLY DOWNLOADED AUDIBLE).

Chicago, Illinois

Friday I woke up at Ben’s apartment at about 7:50, stumbled out into the living room and started working at 8. He was already at work with his clients, so I had the morning to myself at his place to get some laundry done while working (since my w/d at my apartment STILL hasn’t been installed)!

I took my lunch around 12:30 and headed to the gym for Ben to train me. It was an upper body day, which I haven’t done with him yet. Of course, he made me bump up my weight in almost everything so I was definitely feeling it. The rest of the afternoon I worked from Ben’s couch while he finished some work as well.

Working from home

We shut down right at 5 and headed down the road to eat at Sushi X. If you follow me on Snapchat (JustJessie23) or Instagram stories, you would’ve seen the epic treat meal that went down, but here’s a little preview …

Sushi X - Chicago

SO GOOD. Plus, our server was awesome so that makes the experience even better. But yes, I’ve found a man that will go to eat at Grandma time with me. 🙂

After sushi, Ben wanted to take me to frozen yogurt because I’ve been talking about it for EVER. We walked about a mile and he got ice cream at Jeni’s, which was right next door to Red Mango. I took my frozen yogurt to-go because my stomach was feeling pretty angry after shoving 2.5 rolls of sushi down my throat an hour earlier. Don’t worry, I ate it later.

We walked back to Ben’s apartment and both fell asleep watching Minions at like, 11 p.m. #OldPeopleStatus #TheBest

Saturday morning Ben had to train, so he went in and I sat around on his couch catching up on YouTube videos. I noticed myself picking my body apart more than normal (I was still bloated from the night before) and I got this “you’re not going to make it” mindset stuck in my head. Does this happen to anyone else? I figured a nice, hard workout at the gym would make it better!

It didn’t.

In fact, Ben spent a good chunk of the workout trying to talk me out of crying out of frustration. I feel like I’m just starting to get strong and my back starts killing me and I have to cut down my weight. PLUS, you trying wearing spandex around OTHER beautiful women wearing Lululemon when you’re already in a bad mood about how you look. Just wasn’t a good workout for me!

(P.S. I’m writing most of this blog post on Sunday afternoon and my computer has shut down NO LESS than three times so far due to who-knows-what … so this weekend is just not loving me).

After the workout, Ben and I headed back to his place, ate and watched Human Planet for a few hours. He made me dinner (chicken and pasta – woooooo!), then we started watching more Netflix and I fell asleep on the couch before he woke me up to move to bed. Such a sleepy weekend – crappy attitudes make me tired!

Sunday Ben got up to meet some potential clients and I laid around in bed for awhile before getting up to clean up his place for him a bit. I figure if he’s feeding me and basically letting me stay there every hour of the day this weekend, the least I can do is make his bed and clean up his kitchen!

We moved over to Starbucks around 1 p.m. to get some work done. I’ve been working on this blog for almost two hours because the computer I’m working on keeps shutting down and losing everything I’ve done. (Speaking of that, time to save …)

Starbucks Weekend

The rest of the afternoon we spent watching more Human Planet (ADDICTING) until we transferred over to my apartment while Ben worked and I meal prepped some stuff . Nothing crazy!

How was your weekend?

Linking up with Katie.

So, I’m not sure if you read my blog much or not (it’s okay if not- haha) but I talked about this the other day. I remember when I was lifting my heaviest and I weighed the most and was the thickest I’ve ever been (which is like, the best thing ever for me because I’m so small- so that’s my goal again). I was at the gym though and somebody was talking to me about how your body can’t sustain this heavy lifting forever. I was young and stupid and was like, “Yeah, I may not be able to go up in weight past a certain point, but why would I NOT be able to keep lifting like this?!” So, after plenty of injuries later where I couldn’t even work out AT ALL, I changed my mindset. Yeah, getting strong is awesome. But I decided that my real goal is to live a healthy life forever. So what if I’m still 97lbs (okay, I AM still trying to gain though)? So what if my butt is nonexistent? I just need to be healthy in a sustainable way. Being healthy shouldn’t make you want to cry out of frustration! Just my two cents. Anyway, other than that, your weekend didn’t sound too bad! At least you get to work from home now one day!
    Liz recently posted…Jackson: One YearMy Profile

I do read your blog! 🙂 Although I haven’t touched my bloglovin’ feed all last week. 🙁 But I love that mindset and it’s so true. I think my frustration just hit a boiling point, so my back hurting and not being able to squat above 95# (which is usually my warm-up weight) was very humbling. I think that PLUS the bad mindset I already had just made me frustrated enough to cry. But you’re so right. My “real” goal is definitely to lose some weight because I don’t feel great, but really I’m more interested in living a balanced lifestyle where I love lifting and eating. Thanks for the advice! And yes – it actually was a really great weekend, I just wish my mindset would’ve been a bit more grateful than cranky.

2. Ashley @ Whiskers and Weights says:

Ya know. I feel you on the crappy mood! I feel sometimes we all just get into a rut with how our society portrays fitness. If you don’t have this or that, well then obviously you aren’t fit! Bull sh*t. It’s so important to look at ourselves to see if there is something more than we can do for us, not for others. But sometimes you just have to have a crappy mood day as well!
    Ashley @ Whiskers and Weights recently posted…Weekend in Review | Pool and PupsMy Profile

So true! I think my main issue was actually OUTSIDE of the gym that day – just body image issues in general. Going just made it worse, when it should make it better!

3. Casey Zack says:

I really loved reading this blog post! I feel ya on those days where we have those kinds of frustrations! It’s good to vent it out and no that not every day is a good day but there is something good in each day!!! Hope you have a great week girly! Keep up the amazing posts!!!!

My sister and I started a blog post too called FitToFlyAndFlirt.com! Lemme know if you like it! 🙂

4. Maddy says:

I completely understand the bad mindset. I was stuck in one for a good chunk of last week. Killer headaches, overscheduled, feeling like a whale (even though I’m sure I literally look the same as today) and just overall stressing myself about about everything I can related to the future [im the worst sometimes]. Luckily, I kicked my own ass at the gym Friday and Saturday, and then had much needed time with an old friend Saturday & Sunday, so I’m feeling significantly better right now.
    I know the frustration – but long term your health is more important that how much you can lift. Keep pushing lady and I hope this week is WAY better for you.

much love,
    Maddy
    Maddy recently posted…“It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living”My Profile

Thanks, Maddy! I appreciate it. Luckily I was able to get in some gooooood Netflix couch time this weekend which let me disconnect from other issues frustrating me in real life. Once I can get out of the mindset, I feel like I’m always more motivated than before to push past it and find something that doesn’t make me feel that way!

Oh I feel ya on the mood. My boss stopped by my desk tonight to say that he wants to see me smiling. But ugh. I’m just not in the mood for it! Here’s hoping meal prepping makes me feel a bit better (oh and the glass of wine as well).
    Katie recently posted…Joy: home and friendsMy Profile

I feel you on that! And I don’t know about you, but I can’t fake a smile. No way, Jose. I hope you start to feel better, too! I feel much better today, but I think it’s because of the sunny weather.

I can totally relate to having sort of a negative mindset when it comes to fitness. It’s frustrating when you put in so much work & not see the results you want or not hit certain goals. But then I remind myself of how far I’ve come since realizing I needed to make a change & the progress since that time. I think Liz pretty much said it all– it’s important that you are healthy!
    Megan recently posted…30th ‘Birday’ & Other Weekend HappeningsMy Profile

YES YES YES. I also take like 100 years to lose any weight, but about 13 seconds to gain it. I’ve gained a bit of weight, which sucks, but hopefully I can get it off soon. And I also need to go on a little bit of a shopping spree – I threw away so much when I moved. You’re right on progress, for sure. I’m already lifting a ton heavier than I was PLUS I’m trying to lose weight. That’s a feat in and of itself!