Weekend Recap: Parking tickets, weddings & puppy shopping

First of all, I can’t even begin to start writing a new post without thanking ALL of you that reached out to me about my latest blog post on body image. From comments on here to texts to snaps to Instagram … Thank you SO much. <3

Since I haven’t posted since then, I’ll let you know that I finally got my hair done on Thursday night. After a three-hour appointment, it’s changed a little (and I love it!)

Friday was another day at the new job – officially made it through week 1 and it was awesome! Overwhelming, but a MUCH better fit for me. I got out of work and took the train home (I’ve been walking most days, but it was raining) A few little money issues bumped their way into my brain, so by the time I got home, I was kind of cranky. Ben and I watched a puppy training video and then headed out to run some errands.

Unfortunately when I got to my car I had not one, but TWO $200 tickets ($400 each, in case you don’t want to do math πŸ˜‰ on my window for not having a city pass … something I was slightly aware of but it kept slipping my mind. After a few trips back and forth to a place that sells them (also can’t find my Illinois registration, which was not helpful), I dropped an additional $216 on a city pass for the next year + late fees. I got back in the car with Ben, who started silently driving to Target and … it happened. My first panic attack in a long, long time. Ben was able to calm me down (while he was driving – ugh) and we got into Target to grab a card and a few other random things. I felt a lot better, mostly because panic attacks take absolutely all emotion out of me.

Finally around 9:30 p.m., Ben and I both hadn’t eaten so we went to Whisk (normally our brunch favorite) and got some chicken and waffles for dinner.

After eating, we jumped back in the car … only to find a $50 parking ticket on the window. I just laughed, but Ben got super irritated (not with me). Basically an entire night of something / someone “hurting” me and he was about over it. We headed home and chilled for the rest of the evening while I paid my $450 in new bills all on the credit card (yay #teamnosavingsbecausepoor)

Saturday I ended up sleeping in until 11 (much needed) and then got ready to head to Madison for one of my cousin’s wedding.

The wedding was small, but tons of fun to see a bunch of my family that I rarely see. They all loved Ben, obviously. πŸ™‚

On Sunday, Ben and I headed out in the morning to get some puppy shopping done. We get our babe in a little less than three weeks!

After that, we walked to Lillie Q’s for brunch.

Once we finished up there (OMG SO GOOD) we headed to Starbucks so I could get some client work done. After a few hours there (and almost throwingΒ my laptop out the window) Ben and I headed to Best Buy where I picked up a small Chromebook. I’d much rather have a Macbook Pro or Air, but that’s just not in the budget right now. I loved playing around with it last night, so hopefully it’ll help me out! Unfortunately this wasn’t something I could wait on since I have clients now for my business and I can’t be spending a ton of time just trying to get my computer to boot.

The rest of the evening Ben and I set up our pup’s new space, cooked up some food for the week (because my stove isn’t working …) and vegged as much as possible. And now we’re on to Monday and week 2 at the new job! I’m actually writing this quick on my lunch break because I didn’t have time yesterday.

How was your weekend?

1. Jordyn Sifferman says:

Money issues are one of the main things that spur panic attacks for me too. 2 $200 tickets is a lot to take in, ugh I’m sorry that really really sucks. Then a $50 ticket on top of it…I know the feeling, a few weekends ago I had financial issue after financial issue hitting me from out of nowhere. I definitely cried a little (okay a lot) and called my mom for some sympathy. Happy Monday! I’m glad your new job is going well! Sending lots of love and happy positive vibes through bogland.

Money issues are so awful! I feel like if I’m in a bad mood or worried about something, 99% of the time it’s because of something associated to money. Yeah – in total, I spent $666 (gross numbers, huh…) in a minimum # of hours on Friday. Ahh, oh well. Guess I just have to move on and see how I can make it better in the future. And thanks, lady! Hope you’re having a wonderful Monday! πŸ™‚

Just reading about all the shit you spent money on in this post gave me anxiety and it’s not even my money! I HATE unexpected costs! I typically keep a huge cushion in savings, but still, I like having a plan for where our money is going and I hate random shit thrown into the mix. I got a $90 parking ticket right after my cross country road trip to Portland a few years ago (where I also got a speeding ticket in Idaho on the way) and I remember getting the ticket and having a total meltdown to Jon. It was ridiculous. I told Jon I thought it was almost time for him to get a new computer the other day so he is dead set on a MacBook Pro. We both have MacBook Airs (mine is way newer than his) and I LOVE them, but the Pro is so dang expensive! I love your hair now! It looks awesome in that photo! And you and Ben look adorable at the wedding! I’m so happy you guys found each other (somehow, although I don’t know how yet because I’m still waiting on that blog). Hopefully this week goes better than your weekend!
    Liz recently posted…Almost Ready for ICELANDMy Profile

Right?! It’s awful. I spent WELL over $1000 out of no where between that and my computer breaking. So frustrating and I hate putting things on my credit card because I already have a lot of CC debt. Ugh. Thank you! I love the hair, too – just wish I wouldn’t have spent so much money haha! Thank you πŸ™‚ RIGHT. Ben wants to write a ebook or something about it and somehow it just keeps getting pushed off. I think I’m just going to write a blog about it pretty soon since we’ve been talking about this for MONTHS.

Ah, I love your hair! And that picture of you two is so cute! I’m sorry about all those surprise expenses over the weekend. πŸ™ Those are not fun at all. Those puppies … I love that picture of them. Hopefully this week goes smoothly for you!
    Megan recently posted…My Health JourneyMy Profile

Haha thanks πŸ™‚ We suck at getting pictures together, so this was literally as we were walking out of the wedding and I was like, “NO we have to take a picture!” hahha. The puppy pics get me through the tough times – definitely can’t wait until we get ours!

4. Amy says:

I love that even with a few bumps in the road, aka parking tix, you sound great! Bouncing back from setbacks is really the main thing—-this said from more life experience as I get older:) I am not super spontaneous, but the more I try something new, every so often—the more I learn, feel accomplished and even have more fun! I have 3 work days left at my job that has not been a great fit. Woohoo! I am so ready to start my next adventure in being employed ha! You and Ben sound and look so happy!!!

Well, thanks! I will say some sort of stress hit me, though. I was out yesterday from work with a migraine and was up all night last night with stomach issues. I’m staying home again this morning. Not my favorite thing to do in my second week, but I can’t imagine going in to work when I’ve been throwing up! So glad you’re starting a new adventure! I hope it works out for you – I know how awful it can be working at a place that’s definitely the wrong fit.

5. Marette Flora says:

Yep, that damn city sticker. I had no clue about the city sticker and zone parking until we found an apartment and the landlord told us. I had issues getting the first one but after that it’s easy; they send you a reminder in the mail to renew. We did get a $30 ticket because ours fell off and we had to tape it back on. Apparently we did so incorrectly. Anyway, I realize that’s nothing compared to your tickets, but I feel your frustration. At least you have a cute pup to look forward to and a great new job!

I get that I deserved a ticket, but TWO for $200 each?! Come ON Chicago – haha. According to all Chicago people, this is the “initiation” … but at least that’s over. Ben’s had his car towed before, so I’m just grateful that didn’t happen. And you’re so right! So many great things like the baby pup to look forward to!