3 Reasons Why We Canceled Our Trip To Mexico

We did it.

Last night we clicked the “Cancel Trip” button on Southwest.com and canceled our anniversary trip to Mexico in November. And do you want to know what I immediately felt?

Relief

Here are the 3 reasons why we canceled our trip to Mexico - and we're super happy about it!
We were SO excited planning this trip in July – I mean, who wouldn’t be … look at the place! (Photo from Secrets’ Website)

Here are the 5 reasons why we canceled our trip to Mexico - and we're super happy about it!Don’t get me wrong, I hope to go there someday soon, but here are the three reasons we canceled our trip.

1. Save Money
    The biggest – and most obvious reason – is to save money. If you’re following me on Pinterest, you might know I’ve been a bit wedding obsessed lately (HA sorry Benjamin). One of Ben’s clients owns a wedding business and he told Ben to save for $100-$150 PER PERSON invited to your wedding. Ben immediately suggested eloping, but I said no. 😂

The problem is, my family ALONE is well over 200 people (without kids because #sorrynotsorry, not inviting kids to my wedding) and that’s not counting Ben’s family or our friends. Granted, we’ll be cutting that down and some family I barely know just won’t be invited (again, #sorrynotsorryi’mpoor) but it still got my wheels turning that I should be saving. Since my savings account isn’t even in the four digits (ouch) that could be a problem.

Plus, to be completely honest, I have debt and so does Ben. I’m working to cut down my credit card debt and that should be out of the way soon and then I can focus on pushing my monies back into savings. Just canceling this trip saved me $1470 that I can put toward the little bit of $$ I owed Ben and then go straight at my credit card.

2. Timing
    Of course we’d love to go on a trip, but we literally just came back from San Diego and I’m hoping we’ll go somewhere for my birthday in January. While going on trips in the winter, especially being in the Midwest, is so nice, November isn’t even the worst of it! I’d rather go on a trip in January when we’re sick of the weather.

We normally plan trips around holidays because then Ben loses the *least* amount of money. That’s the one problem with him having an in-person client-based job – if he isn’t in Chicago training people, he’s losing money. So we usually plan stuff around holidays that people would be taking off anyway. This is a great idea, but that lumps almost all of our trips into the end of the year which just isn’t feasible, so we need to figure something else out.

Also, my friend Perry had a great suggestion. While we’d LOVE to take a super relaxing trip right now, knowing Ben and I, we’d both be so antsy by the end of it, we’d end up doing work anyway. She suggested going on an all-inclusive trip when we NEED it – like after a wedding or before/after we have kids – sometime when we’ll really enjoy it.

Plus, maybe I can convince my bridesmaids to take me on an all-inclusive (CAN YOU TELL I HAVE WEDDING FEVER – no ring … so not sure why that’s happening.) 😐

3. Future Trips
    This one came from Ben. He said if we just made up a number like $10,000 that we could spend in the next couple of years on our dream trips, would a Mexico all-inclusive be on that list? My immediate gut answer was NO. I want to go to Ireland at least one more time, Maui, Greece, Vancouver, Denver, Portland/Seattle, Harry Potter World … if I am told I have the option to go to one of those or an all-inclusive in Mexico, it’d be a no-brainer – I’d knock out Mexico in a heart beat. So we did.

And an extra piece – I’m actually quite nervous about the food and safety in Mexico and it has given me an uneasy feeling from the start. I’m already INTENSELY sensitive to a lot of foods and it’d be just my luck that I’d get sick in Mexico and the trip would be ruined for me. I’m also slightly nervous about safety, but that’s just a general thing that added to our final decision.

What do you think? Have you ever canceled something and knew it was the right choice?

Definitely the right choice. While mexico will need the tourism dollars, your dollars need to go towards your past (debt isn’t fun, but everyone has some) and future!
    Katie recently posted…Joy: ImpactMy Profile

2. Alex says:

I 100% think you made the right choice. Not trying to be a troll here, but for all the debt that you and Ben have + such little in savings, how do you still find yourself spending hundreds of dollars a week eating out? That’s SUCH an easy way to save money. Yes, I know that it’s convenient to order take out when you don’t have much time, but for the 1 hour you spend pinning stuff, spend that doing food prep and you’ll save enough to bring those pins to reality! Again, not trying to be a troll, but I just would hate to see you in a situation where you need to use your emergency funds but have none, and then are in a terrible position for the future

You’re not trolling at all! And you’re totally right. I think that’s the biggest thing I struggle with. I am a foodie and love trying out new things. I hate sitting at home by myself all the time and it’s a very social thing to do as well. HOWEVER, I’ve actually created a budget using a cool new app I found and I’m being better about going out to eat. It’s a work in progress! For me, I still want to budget in a few fun things, but saving is more important! Thanks for the comment. 🙂

Mexico is so not on my list, haha. Actually, Tulum looks neat, but there are other places I’d rather go. We MAY do something like Mexico in January because we’re planning on taking Jackson on a trip (reminds me that I NEED to get him a passport) and it’s close, but eh. Fo sho save up for that wedding! We invited 78 people to our wedding and 60 came. It was PERFECT. And total, it was under $8000 for dresses, tuxes, rings, food, alll of it. I loved my wedding but traveling is my number one. I don’t need a huge wedding day if all my money is going to be tied up and I can’t travel. Priorities. And my priority is traveling. Also, I’m with Alex. I’d say sadly, but it’s not sad, haha. But I am SUPER financially responsible. I think with an upcoming wedding, wanting a traveling life, and everything else that comes with marriage, saving money is SO important. I get onto Jon for going to restaurants to do work because I’m like, “STOP SPENDING MONEY! SAAAAAVEEEEE!” Eating out is not a life goal of ours. If Jon wants a boat, he better be eating at home, haha. But really, a cushy savings account provides so much security. I used to do trips as financial goals. “When I have $10,000 in the bank, I’ll plan a trip.” “When I have $14,000 in the bank, I’ll do a trip.” Nothing makes you save like a travel reward. Okay, that was totally a tangent. But I agree that I hate to see fun things like eating out and travel come first, when having a savings account for things like a house and emergencies is so important! I hope I’m not crossing lines here!

That’s a good way to look at it! I love going out to eat and trying new places, so it’ll never be something I’ll want to cut out entirely, but I am making a pointed effort to be more careful and stick to a budget. Quite honestly, since January, it’s the first time in my life I’ve been making enough money to have some extra wiggle room. I’ve literally lived my entire life skimming by just making enough by working three jobs to even pay my bills. I’ll get there!

4. Torry says:

I got married last year and LET ME TELL YOU even having it at my lake house with only 110 people it was crazy. However, when you do get that ring and need recommendations I worked with some GREAT people who were super affordable if you are going to have it around here/nothern illinois/southern wisconsin. Also, don’t feel bad about who you do and do not invite to your wedding. It’s YOUR day and you need to only have those people you really love and care about there to support you. We didn’t invite kids (besides nieces) because well I didn’t want them there and parents liked having the night out. I have a million tips I could keep going but I’ll stop….maybe that time you planned for the long trip you can go on a little weekend getaway so its still something to look forward to?

UGH why is it so pricey?! Once we get closer to that part of our lives, I’ll have to reach out to you for some advice. 🙂 And I love the weekend getaway idea!