Elimination Diet: Days 1, 2 &3

Hey everyone! This elimination diet has been killer so far. I’ve also made videos, which you can check out below.

Elimination Diet: Days 1, 2 &3Day 1

What I ate:

• Throughout the AM – Watermelon Juice
  • 9 am – Rice, unseasoned ground turkey and a pickle
  • 12:30 pm – Sweet potato, unseasoned ground turkey, and squash soup
  • 3 pm – Pineapple
  • 5 pm – A hell of a lot of pickles and grapes (random, but easy to grab)
  • 5:30 pm – Tilapia, rice & green beans

How was I feeling:

Like absolute garbage. Seriously, the caffeine withdrawal and hunger was off the charts. My head was killing me all day I was very bloated and so incredibly irritable. I also had outrageous brain fog and couldn’t keep a thought in my head for the life of me. And I was SO TIRED. This day was awful – plus I did it on a Monday … who does that?!

Day 2

What I ate:

• 8:30 am – Small banana
  • 9:15 am – Squash soup
  • 1 pm – Sweet potato, unseasoned ground turkey and green beans
  • 3 pm – Baby carrots
  • 5:30 pm – 4 pickles (pickles are life) and a rice cake while I waited for my food to cook
  • 6:30 pm – Unseasoned ground turkey, asparagus and rice (with a tiny bit of hot sauce, which you’re not technically supposed to have, but I found one with no “off-limits” ingredients and literally put two drops in to help with my sanity)
  • 8 pm: A bazillion strawberries and some frozen green grapes

How I was feeling:

So.incredibly.dizzy. I seriously couldn’t even take the train to work because I was afraid of getting sick. I also had a slight headache on and off throughout the day, but my mood wasn’t AS BAD as it was on Monday. I also got very bubbly by the end of the day and my stomach bloated up a bit, which was so frustrating. I was so starving and it was so hard not to say F*CK IT and go to Chipotle, but I didn’t do it.

Day 3

What I ate:

• 8:30 am – Jasmine rice, unseasoned ground turkey, asparagus and black pepper
  • 10 am – A small gala apple
  • 12:30 pm – Sweet potato, unseasoned ground turkey, asparagus
  • 3 pm – Baby carrots
  • 5 pm – Pickles & a rice cake
  • 6 pm – A LOT of rice, couple pickles (obsessed), unseasoned ground turkey, half an avocado
  • 9 pm – 5 strawberries

How I felt:

I was still struggling without caffeine, but more because I was bored at work. It took me a bit to wake up and I felt great on my way TO work, but as soon as I got there, I really craved caffeine. Quite honestly it’s what keeps me movin’ and groovin’ at work all day. However, I did notice a significant change in how my clothes felt. I actually noticed that my hands, legs and stomach felt less bloated. My legs I noticed because I was wearing jeans with holes in them and I didn’t feel like I was popping out of them like a cheese grater. 😂

However, later in the night I felt very “backed up” … again. So the bloating came back as well as a stomachache because nothing was moving through.

So where do we go from here? Well, I’ve got at least 10 more days of this crap (boooo). I did talk with Ben after how I was feeling the first two days and was actually thinking that maybe this specific elimination diet wasn’t right. We actually think that I struggle with too much fiber as well (and I’ve had a TON more of that with my food these last few days) so depending on how I’m feeling this weekend, I might tweak.

I’m also thinking of adding in chicken and some sort of hot sauce, even if it’s just the one that has barely anything in it. I just cannot imagine eating the same damn thing with absolutely no seasoning or sauce. I’m also more of a “spicy/savory” type person, so I haven’t felt satisfied with anything I’m eating. Too much sweet for me. Though I will say, the strawberries on Tuesday tasted amazing. 😍

I’ll keep you guys updated on the days to come!

What about the pickle sodium? (I love pickles so I wouldn’t want you to cut them out). I agree that you shouldnt be feeling quite this awful, so some tweaks may be in order!

2. Alex says:

So I did something similar and while you may have to sub a couple ingredients here and there some of my go-tos were:

Spaghetti squash or zuchinni noodles + ground turkey = bolognese pasta! (looks like you can’t do a tomato sauce)

salmon smothered in dijon

Tuna and avocado salad (like legit mix the two together put it on a bed of lettuce or whatever floats your boat. I like to add mustard, but dk if you can have that)

Thanks for the ideas! Yeah, it makes it so difficult because they’re so strict. I may start making some tweaks. For example, right now I can’t have tuna because of the mercury content, but that salad you’re talking about sounds amazing! Also can’t have tomatoes (which is annoying) but it still might be nice to eat it that way instead of just turkey and rice all the time. Thanks for the ideas!!

I think I will after this weekend, depending on how I’m feeling. I want to give it a “full week” at what they recommend, but sometimes you just have to make things fit. And I’m about 100% sure that I’m not allergic/intolerant to either tomatoes or tuna haha, so I should be fine. 🙂

3. Victoria says:

I’m so curious about this because I have a lot of stomach issues too that doctors have never been able to figure out. I’m surprised avocado and asparagus are allowed at the beginning though! My stomach has a hard time with both of those things.

I know! I’m really surprised with all of it, really haha. I think it’s hard to do such a cookie-cutter elimination when you never know what is actually affecting you! I’m in Day 6 and still feel like poop (no pun intended) so …

4. Krista T says:

YOu can do it!!! Stick with it (and tweak if needed). Are you taking a probiotic? Maybe taking some can help to heal the gut and “get things going”. Bubbies pickles have natural probiotics in them. They are a bit pricey but soooo good! You find them in the refrigerated section at the store (not just on the shelf) . Usually near the kombucha or fermented products.

I’m not, but my nurse-friend told me to definitely add in a probiotic! It’s hard to stick with it when I’m still not feeling much better. But I’ll do it! And that’s for the info on the pickles!

Interesting elimination diet. Rice actually makes me feel like shit too, although less than just regular bread products. But if I’m eating strictly pretty low carb, I have a very noticeable reaction to rice. It bloats me like crazy and usually makes me feel off. Have you looked into a keto diet? Jon did it so I did a lot of research on it and SO MANY people loved it because it helped so much with IBS type symptoms. Although, you may have to cut dairy initially for a better elimination type diet… But he had great results and felt so much better.

Ahhh interesting. Rice has never been an issue for me! My body doesn’t do very well on low carb, so it’s not really a diet I’ll ever try unless absolutely force. 😂 My doctor wanted me to try this out so I can add foods back in, otherwise there’s no way I’d be doing this either haha! Actually after a week of this stuff, I’m pretty sure my issue is actually with fiber (my body doesn’t digest high-fiber food so I have to find my “sweet spot”). I also think dairy and soy affect my stomach as well, but I’ll find that out when I can reintroduce those on Monday. I’m hoping this thing helps me but I am so over it!