Elimination Diet: Days 4-7

Hello, friends! Ready for another update on this (boooooo) elimination diet? I’m currently on Day 7 so I’ve almost made it a week, woo. Make sure you check out my post on Days 1-3!

Elimination Diet: Days 4-7Day 4

What I ate:

• 8 am – Rice, turkey, small amount of avocado
  • 10:30 am – Banana
  • 12:30 pm – Rice, turkey, a LOT of avocado, little hot sauce
  • 3:30 pm – Apple
  • 5 pm – 2 pickles
  • 6 pm – A lot of rice, turkey, 2 artichoke hearts, pickles, green beans and a tiny bit of hot sauce
  • 8 pm – Frozen grapes

How I felt:

This was the first day (of many) of being uncomfortable because nothing was moving through me (TMI, but you’re reading about an elimination diet lol – sorry!) I had a headache throughout the day, plus some bloating from not being able to go to the bathroom. My energy and mood were pretty good, though, and some ibuprofen did get rid of my headache pretty quickly. I did get tired by the afternoon.

One thing I’ve noticed is that my skin and mouth are SO DRY. I really thought it was sodium, but I’ve tracked it and I’m really not eating much. Quite honestly, I was eating more sodium before this diet so I’m not sure on that one. And yes, I’m drinking a ton of water. It’s the only thing I can drink!

I also weighed myself this day and I was down just about a half pound. Even though I’m not doing this for weight reasons, I’m definitely not at a comfortable weight so I can’t honestly say I wasn’t hoping it’d knock down a few pounds. Oh well.

Day 5

What I ate:

• 9 am – Unsweetened passion tea with a splash of coconut milk (no caffeine or sweetener, plus coconut milk is one of the only things I can have …)
  • 9:30 am – Turkey, 1/4 an avocado, rice, green beans
  • 11 am – Banana
  • 12:30 pm – 1/2 a cucumber, rice, salmon
  • 2:30 pm – Apple
  • 3:30 pm – 2 rice cakes with avocado and salt
  • 6 pm – Rice, turkey, pickles, artichoke heart, 1/4 avocado, hot sauce

How I felt:

I ended up getting my blood work done in the morning, so I was fasted. I got super lightheaded at the doctor (duh, couldn’t eat plus my diets all funky now) so I asked my boss to let me work from home, which he did thankfully. I had trouble sleeping the night before and as you can tell reading my food, I just couldn’t fill myself up. I tried not to worry about it and let myself snack a bit more than normal, especially since I had some blood work done.

This was the day *shit* hit the fan (not literally). I was so frustrated, constipated, tired, hungry and just OVER IT. Ben was super sweet and asked me if it was okay that he eat pizza for dinner, which was fine with me because I never crave pizza. However, a few minutes later he came out with a bowl of ice cream and I got SO MAD. I was pouting and rude to him, and he got pretty irritated with me (Ben’s usually pretty cool-tempered, so I know I’m being ridiculous if he gets irritated). He’s like, “Are you seriously mad at me for eating ice cream?”

As soon as he said the words, I felt so stupid. Of course, I wasn’t. I ended up bursting into tears and sobbing to him that I was never going to feel normal, I was so sick of people that can eat normal food and I just didn’t want to do this anymore. My emotions were all over the place. We ended up chatting it out and I felt much better.

Oh and PS, the test results came back and some of my levels are pretty low, so my doctor is referring me to an endricrinologist for my hypothryoidism.

Elimination Diet: Days 4-7
Day 6

What I ate:

• 9 am – Banana and strawberries
  • 10:30 am – Turkey, rice, hot sauce and small amount of avocado
  • 12 pm – Rice and turkey
  • 2 pm – Passion tea with coconut milk
  • 3 pm – Rice cake and pickles
  • 6 pm – Rice, turkey, black olives and pickles
  • 8 pm – Apple, strawberries and raspberries

How I felt:

Still extremely constipated – going on multiple days. I woke up feeling awful, though I did sleep much better that night. I feel like it’s really hard to wake up, but once up I feel okay.

I was still feeling very frustrated. Ben and I started talking and noticed in my little food journal I’m keeping that the serious back-up (ha) happened as soon as I started eating avocado. Plus, my friend Victoria (HEY GIRL) in the comments mentioned that bothers her, too. We know from other times in my eating I struggle with too much fiber and too much protein. Want to know what all I’ve been eating on this diet?

Fiber and protein.

Ben suggested cutting out avocado (WAHHH) for now until my body can regulate itself again but we’re pretty sure he’s right. Good-bye, Chipotle guacamole. 🙁

Also, I weighed myself and was down a pound from the day before, even being constipated, which was kinda cool to see. I lost about 1.5 lbs this week, which isn’t too bad, but again – not my focus.

Day 7

What I ate:

• 10 am – A lot of rice, turkey, two pieces of turkey bacon, pickle and olives (I seriously blacked out making this – wtf kinda meal is this?!)
  • 12 pm – Vegetable soup
  • 3 pm – Banana
  • 5 pm – Apple
  • 6 pm – Salmon, rice, zucchini
  • 10 pm – Vegetable soup

How I felt:

Still. So. Backed. Up. FOUR DAYS NOW. Super frustrated. But besides that, I felt okay. A little bit tired, but nothing too crazy. Thankfully by the end of the day that finally ended. However, my toe hurt so badly that I couldn’t pay attention to anything else 😂 I guess the probiotic helped? Or maybe my body was finally fed up.

I still felt very frustrated all day and super tired in the afternoon. Missing caffeine like no one’s business! ☕️

Have you ever done an elimination diet? How do you keep going into Week 2?

I still think this is the craziest elimination diet! I think I’d feel like shit with this too. And honestly, if you’re feeling so bad ON this diet, HOW are you going to tell which foods are irritating when you reintroduce them? When I ate Paleo and eliminated a lot of foods, I felt GREAT on the diet, so it was -super- obvious which foods were upsetting my stomach. I hope you get some clarity on what’s causing your issues though! Especially since this diet looks like it sucks, haha. When Jon was eating keto, he got mad at me for eating a cupcake in front of him and I probably reacted like Ben.

I KNOWWWW that’s totally what I’m thinking, too 😭 Though I *am* feeling pretty good today so fingers crossed. I’ve reintroduced a few things that I know don’t bother me in small doses (a little hot sauce, for example) just to keep myself sane. I really don’t know that this was the best elimination diet for me to do, but I am hoping it’ll give my some insight and I can continue to work at it (hopefully not AS strictly) after this.

Hi Jessie! Long time reader, first time commenter. Have you tried taking a magnesium supplement before bed? I am no stranger to bathroom issues and taking one has made me regular for the first time ever.

3. Torry says:

I totally understand your reaction to Ben eating ice cream. I do this to my husband every once and awhile. There have also been many times at the beginning of going gluten free that I cried in the grocery store because I just want to “be normal” – which will clearly never happen again. Who am I kidding there are STILL times 3 years later that I cry over food I cannot eat. It’s sill I know – its just food but when you are told you medically CANNOT HAVE SOMETHING all you do is want it!

Ugh, it’s so bad. Glad I’m not the only one… it sucks sometimes! But I guess I’d much rather feel good than feel bad, so I’ve just gotta push through it. Thanks for the comment, Torry! 🤗

4. Andrea says:

Good luck with your diet! I did the Whole 30 last year and it was the best thing I’ve ever done. It helped me figure out I have celiac disease. Feeling so much better now!

5. Brigitte de Villiers says:

This sounds like a crazy elimination diet. I’ve tried to go back through your posts and discover why you’re on it and why the allowed foods are so strange. Have you written about it in another post? Either way, good luck with sticking to it. In terms of “being stuck” I usually find bananas have that effect on me, but perhaps that’s because I prefer under-ripe bananas. Can’t stand the flavour of a ripened banana, unless it’s in banana bread, ha ha!

Ahh you’re the second one that mentioned it! I definitely didn’t organize these the best way. I kinda talked about it in a few other posts, but I’ll write a big post about everything. Basically I’ve had stomach issues for years (constipation, extreme stomachaches, extreme bloating, etc.) and I have no idea what does it to me!

It’s the worsssst. Okay, I’m being dramatic – it could be much worse haha! Technically we were going to wait for a full 14 days, but we’re starting it here on day 11. I introduced a little bit of dairy today, then will wait two days to see what happens. This definitely didn’t give me all the answers I had hoped, but at least I know it’s not ALL food based. There’s something else going on in that tummy of mine. 😂

6. Carprincess says:

I honestly never heard of an elimination diet until you mentioned it in this post. I tried checking out your previous post to see if you explained it there, but I didn’t see one. Perhaps a good idea would be to introduce what elimination diets are so those uninformed (like meeee) can learn.

I ended up doing a google search and know what it is, but I think it’d still be cool for you to write up a post so people don’t have to leave your blog to get an explanation of something.

I do wish you the best of luck and hopefully, you’ll get a movement soon!

You know what, you’re so right! I thought I had talked about it, but I basically just mentioned it in a few posts. I think I just assume everyone knows why I’m going through this (because I’ve been talking about my symptoms on my blog for a longggggggg time) but any new reader would have no idea what I’m talking about. 😂 Thanks for the insight!

7. Mallory Layfield says:

Oh my goodness, I can’t imagine how frustrating this all must be! You are a champ for getting through it though! My Mom did something similar when she was getting a handle her thyroid issues and her problem food wound up being anything with MSG (so basically anything that comes prewrapped lol). Best of luck to you on the journey and I hope you get back to good foods soon!

OMG how crazy! I haven’t even thought to pay attention to things like that! We’re reintroducing dairy today… we’ll see how it goes. Thanks for commenting, Mallory! 🙂