Weekend Recap: I’M ENGAGED!

How do you like THAT title!

My weekend has been pretty much revolving around getting proposed to on Friday night! I made a video on it, but I’ve also written it below if you’re not interested in listening to Ben and I tell the story (Though I will say the video includes Ben giving some back story on how he planned the night, so it’s a fun watch!

On Friday, December 15 I went to work just like any other day. I came home around 4:30, got dressed quickly in a little “nicer” clothes and grabbed a Lyft downtown to a restaurant named NoMi with Ben. He and I had planned to see Potted Potter at 7:30, but he had gotten a gift card to NoMi from a client that he thought would be fun to use before we went to the play. I thought it was a *little* weird since Ben doesn’t love going out to eat much (I’m the spender, he’s the saver lol) but I was also on high alert because I knew he was going to pop the question sometime in the next few months.

Once at NoMi, we were seated right by the windows with a beautiful view of the water tower and little park right next to it. I was FLOORED Ben was able to get that table, but assumed it was because he had gotten a reservation really early and we got there pretty early for dinner in the city.

I'M ENGAGED! | A Harry Potter Proposal StoryFrank & Draco, Ben’s clients, we’re stopping by quick on their way to their own date night, so they stopped by our table quick and dropped off a gift. I thought it was a little fishy that they were coming by, but we weren’t seeing them until January so it didn’t throw me off too much. As soon as they left, my guard went down and I assumed there was nothing fishy happening so I could just chill. We ordered a couple of drinks and our food (Ben got chicken, I got gluten free sushi) and we chatted about the rest of the night. It was SO pretty being able to see all the lights downtown and I was absolutely loving it. Plus, the play we were going to was only a two block walk so SCORE!

After we ate, Ben decided he wanted dessert so we checked out the menu and they had a gluten free cookie skillet (I LOVE COOKIES) so Ben wanted to order that. The waitress told us the skillet took 25 minutes to make, so I was a little hesitant since it was 6:50 and our play started at 7:30 but Ben was really into this cookie for some reason 🙄 so we ordered it and continued to chat.

At that point, Ben was like “Let’s open the gift from Frank & Draco!” and I was like, “SHIT we didn’t buy them anything yet – can we stop at Crate & Barrel after we leave the play?!” but Ben was just pushing the gift bag into my lap. I opened it up and pulled out another bag that had a long box in it and I knew immediately – IT WAS A WAND!

Yeah, that big of a HP nerd that I knew before I even opened the box. The funny part is, I still thought the wand was from Frank & Draco!

I was like, “BABE THEY GOT ME A WAND OMG HOW DID THEY KNOW I LOVE HARRY POTTER” and Ben was like, “Well, take off the paper!” There was a little piece of paper that said “ALWAYS” laying over the wand. I pulled it away and … there was a sparkly ring on the wand.

My reaction?

“BEN, STOP IT. NO.”

Seriously. 😂

He proceeded to say a bunch of stuff I don’t remember (he explains it in my YouTube video) and all I remember him saying is “Jessie Deschane” and “put on the ring!” a few minutes later! He took a bunch of pictures and the waitress came out with champagne, but I was so thrown off I wasn’t interested in pictures (thankfully he didn’t hire a photographer because I was like STOP WITH THE PICTURES.)

I'M ENGAGED! | A Harry Potter Proposal Story Ben ate the skillet cookie (I couldn’t because #nerves) while I called my sister since she was in on the whole thing.

I seriously wanted to just not go to Potted Potter, but we ended up going and it was super funny. I called my two best friends and family + Ben’s family after the play and then we went home to celebrate with Cora (AKA all fall asleep) – what a night!

I can’t believe I’m engaged! I mean, I can, because we were talking about it, but it still feels surreal. It started to feel “more real” on Saturday when we started telling people. I still couldn’t BELIEVE how many people asked me when the wedding is … or were like, “Can’t wait to come to the wedding!” and I was like … we literally just got engaged and also, I haven’t spoken to you in well over a year. It’s amazing how many people you tick off when you get engaged 😂  But after a little stressful weekend between people and me losing my client (more on that later …) it still was an amazing weekend and I’m so happy I get to spend the rest of my life with my dream guy.

Thanks for reading! Watch the video for more inside details! 🙃

1. Mallory Layfield says:

Congratulations!!! How exciting! Also, yes the wedding questions happen immediately! I called my mom like 30 minutes after I got engaged and her first question was “Have you set a date?” *eye roll* Anyways, so excited for you guys!!! I love how he incorporated HP into it!

Congrats! I need to watch the video but I’m on the phone with USAA, ugh. I’m so excited for you guys and I LOVE THAT RING! I wanted a ring just like that so bad and Jon isn’t a fan of that look. When I tried them on, I ended up not liking how it looked on my hands so Jon got lucky (maybe I just wasn’t used to wearing rings back then, haha). But it looks SO GOOD on you! Ben did such a good job on the ring!!! And I so want one just like that now, haha. I was shocked at how many people invited themselves to our wedding. We’d talk about it and they’d be like, “Where’s my invite?” and I actually had somebody tell me they thought theirs got lost in the mail. So awkward. Especially because we only invited about 65 people, so with family in there and the wedding party, only close friends were invited. People are crazy and rude. I can’t WAIT to hear about your wedding planning and details and see all the blogs about the wedding 😉 I love following your life, haha. So happy you found Ben! BTW, is Chicago miserable in February (maybe Ben knows since I don’t think you were in the city last Feb)? I want to plan a long weekend trip with Jon and Jackson to Chicago unless it’s way too miserable. I lived in Wisconsin/Ohio but not sure if it’s different with the water.

I mean, last February was pretty miserable haha. I think January is usually worse, but still. It just gets SO windy here! You really can’t be sure with winters here … I mean, it’s almost 50 degrees today so … what the heck, winter?!

Wedding planning is definitely going to be crazy and I’ll FOR SURE be blogging about it haha! My family is huge (seriously, both sides is probably almost 300 people – JUST FOR ME, NOT BEN’S FAMILY) so I’m going to have to cut pretty much all family. Basically no matter who you are, if I haven’t seen or talked to you in over a year + you weren’t integral to our relationship, probably won’t get an invite. Sounds so mean, but weddings are SO expensive! If I’m going to spend over a year saving and putting all of my money into one day, you best believe it’s going to be the way I want it… which means super pretty and fun – which is expensive lol!

3. alex says:

Congratulations!!! Your ring is gorgeous too!! I won’t ask when the wedding is (obnoxious), will just ask you blog about planning and the process 🙂

Thank you, Alex!! I definitely plan on blogging about the whole process! Can’t wait to get started … but Ben says I need to “chill” for a sec. 😉

4. Krista T says:

CONGRATS!! So exciting! I was completely surprised when my hubs popped the question and I loved it! Whatever you do for your wedding just remember it’s YOUR day. So who you invite, where you have it, colors, cake/no cake, etc is your decision. People have opinions on EVERYTHING!!! It’s your wedding….a day to celebrate your love for each other!

Thanks, Krista! Isn’t it the best?! Those are amazing reminders that I need to keep top-of-mind. I tend to be a people pleaser and some people manipulate that. It’s not about anyone else!

Congrats again! Your video is so cute, haha 🙂 Love it! And that ring is beautiful! I can’t wait to hear more about your wedding plans (a ways down the road, of course :P). I remember all those annoying questions after we got engaged. The worst thing I remember was not even a week later, we had Thanksgiving with some family and a relative was basically telling us we should just get married right now, not have a long engagement, and just get it over with basically. And she was dead serious. Hopefully you don’t have anyone who has to be “that” person!

Thanks, girl! I’ve already started looking at venues, just because they book up so quickly! But then I’m hoping to take a little break LOL. That’s crazy that someone said that to you! I don’t understand how rude people can be, and a lot of times they don’t even mean to be. We had to cut down our guest list quite a bit so a lot of family and friends won’t be invited, but we wanted to be sure we had people who are integral to our relationship, not just family that we barely know, you know? Probably going to piss off some people, but oh well!